Friday, November 03, 2006

Look At Your Limiting Thoughts...

I first started implementing mental golf techniques a few years ago. I had been playing the game for forty-plus years, winning some competitions along the way, but some major challenges still remained, like my slice. For years, I had searched in vain for a mechanical fix. Then, family illness took me away from the game for the better part of a decade.

When I returned to golf, my efforts for swing improvement continued, but meager results caused my frustration and tension levels to increase. My confidence plummeted. It seemed that the harder I tried, the worse things got. I actually considered quitting altogether. Then, I came to a turning point. It dawned on me that it was time to get back to some positive ideas and attitudes that my parents had taught me as a child, like "I can do it." I was inspired to try something different, like the mental golf techniques I had been reading about but resisting for years. I started with something basic, which was to identify and change some negative, obstructing thought patterns which I believed were hindering my improvement. One of these was, "I can't seem to change this slice motion, no matter how hard I try." (I wanted to change it, but I didn't really think I could since I had been slicing the ball for years.) Instead, I began to say to myself, "I am learning to draw the ball." I said it frequently and with conviction until I really believed it. Slowly but surely, positive changes did begin to occur. That first basic step in using mental golf techniques opened up a whole new way of approaching the improvement of my golf game.

Rick Semple
Positive Golfer
Co-Founder, TheHeartofGolf.com
http://www.TheHeartofGolf.com