Friday, November 10, 2006

My Favorite Golf Power Word...

In studying and practicing mental golf techniques, I have learned that one of the most important things that makes a difference is the words that you think and say. It is really surprising the difference that this makes. Words can basically put you in the mood and pave the way for a pleasant or unpleasant, successful or unsuccessful, golf experience. My favorite golf power word is "CAN." This is one of the first power words that I started to use when practicing positive golf, and it remains one of my favorite. It is a power word because it literally has positive connotations and vibrations that help you focus and achieve something you want. Now I know why my parents used to encourage me to think and say, "I CAN do this" rather than "I CAN'T do this!" I encourage people to start by practicing the more frequent use of this word, like "I can make this putt," and "I can swing with a smooth motion." Once you start paying attention to how often you do (or don't) use this word, you will notice a difference. You might get off track sometimes, especially if you feel tense or frustrated. That happens to me too. But just try to get back to thinking and saying (and believing!) this power word CAN. It is a great start to more positive golf experiences! I like to hear how just this one step helps people with their game.

By the way, we offer a free Positive Golf Power Book when you sign up for our free Positive Golf newsletter. The ebook has 50 Positive Words, Affirmations, and Tips to Improve your Outlook, Your Game, and Your Life. Check it out at the Positive Golf Newsletter page on our website.

Rick Semple
Positive Golfer
Co-Founder, TheHeartofGolf.com
http://www.TheHeartofGolf.com