Saturday, September 08, 2007

Resources to improve your putting game ---

Too often, your putting game doesn't get the attention it deserves, and, too often, this leads to negative rather than positive golf experiences. Here are a couple of great resources that can help to improve your putting game. I like them because each one emphasizes the value of using BOTH mental and physical techniques to improve your game. Each one also has ideas and drills that you can practice at the course as well as year-round at home:

1. The Putting Performance DVD from PurePoint Golf

This DVD is very well done and provides pointers such as: a unique grip for optimal performance and accuracy, the one simple key to accuracy, the proper stance, how to roll your ball the exact distance it needs to go, and how to know exactly how long your stroke needs to be for every putt. There are also sections on mental preparation, faults and cures, drills, and lots more. This is good information that is well delivered and can really help your game. Bobby Eldridge, Head Professional at PurePoint Golf says this: "I want you to perform on the putting green and stop being nervous about your putts and embarassed when you miss a short one." CLICK HERE to get more details.

2. "The Art of Putting," by Stan Utley

Stan Utley has been called "Golf's latest superstar guru" by Golf Digest, and for good reason. After I read this book, I can see why he has been so helpful to so many. He is brilliantly clear on explaining the fundamentals (which are done incorrectly by so many people, including pros) and giving guidance on how to improve your stroke by putting "feel" back into your game. This feel-based approach has made an enormous difference not only in my putting stroke but my full swing as well. Utley also gives great pointers on the value of being mentally prepared and getting into the "golf mindset." I liked this remark: "It's impossible to overestimate how important attitude is to putting. I know for a fact that I miss putts even when I'm making a great stroke if my attitude is bad. If I stand over the ball resigned to the fact that I'm probably not going to make it, I won't unless it happens by accident. It's incredible how much of an impact your mindset can have." CLICK HERE to read more about the book on Amazon.

Here's to great putting!

Rick Semple
Positive Golfer
Co-Founder, TheHeartofGolf.com
http://www.theheartofgolf.com/