Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Go the "Extra Degree" for Your Golf Improvement

Recently, I have been writing about ideas related to choosing and practicing positive habits to help your golf improvement. I am always on the lookout for great examples and resources that inspire me and fuel my desire and dedication to practice discipline and consistency, like the example of Mike Weir in my previous posting. I encourage others to keep their eyes and ears open for great examples of positive mental golf practices by players on the Tour and players in their own "backyard." (This goes beyond watching and listening for the latest swing tip - it's watching and listening to learn what successful players are thinking and feeling to keep them focused, disciplined, calm, and confident, which lays the groundwork for better, more consistent swings and all-around playing.) Great examples of Positive Golf thinking and playing and other resources that support this approach are all around us. By staying tuned-in and aware, each and every day we can get great mental tidbits that will help our game (and our life!).

A friend recently shared the following motivational resource with me, and I thought it had some great points that support the Positive Golf approach. It's all about the "extra degree" that makes a difference. It gave me a motivational charge for sticking with my positive habits and Positive Golf Improvement Project I have chosen to practice this year. Here are some ideas that lit a spark in me:

- At 211 degrees, water is hot. At 212 degrees, it boils. One extra degree makes all the difference.
- And the one extra degree of effort in business and in life separates the good from the great!
- The average margin of victory for the last 25 years in all major golf tournaments combined was less than three strokes.
- To get what we never had, we must do what we've never done.
- Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other. (Walter Elliot)

For more ideas in a super, really short video format, go to http://www.212movie.com/. I can guarantee you'll want to watch it a couple of times.

Here's to perseverance for Positive Habits and Positive Golf!

Rick Semple
Positive Golfer
Co-Founder, TheHeartofGolf.com
http://www.TheHeartofGolf.com

Labels: , , ,