Thursday, January 18, 2007

Build Your Self-Belief to Improve Your Golf


If you watched the Sony Open in Hawaii over the weekend, you know there was a lot of excitement and a close finish. At one point, Nick Faldo made an interesting comment about Charles Howell III - He has a strong self-belief. It got me to thinking that self-belief is really one of the cornerstones of playing good golf. That's why we make it one of the fundamentals of Positive Golf. What is self-belief? It is a belief in our own ability and potential. It is the belief that we are going to be successful in a task or endeavor. It is a can-do attitude.


So how do you assess your self-belief? Here are a few questions to ask yourself:


-Do I consistently think or say positive, encouraging things about my golf?
-Do I consistently believe that I have the ability and potential to play good golf?
-Do I consistently feel confident when I step up to address the ball?
-Do I consistently picture a good outcome when I drive, chip, or putt?


If you answered "no" to one or more of these questions, you can take some steps to build your self-belief. For me, it helps to begin taking mental note of my words, thoughts, and ideas that I think and say as I prepare for my game or my shot. In essence, I catch myself in the act of thinking negative thoughts and I replace them with positive, encouraging thoughts. I get the worry, fear, anxiety, and discouragement about myself and my abilities out of my mind and keep it filled with supportive, confident, and positive thoughts. Repeating affirmations is one of way retraining your mind, getting into new habits of thinking, and building your self-belief. I use them alot. Here are some examples:


-Today I will be calm and confident.
-I expect a good session on the practice range.
-I can succeed at improving my swing (or my drives, my chips, or my putting).
-I can swing with the perfect tempo.
-I have the ability to draw the ball.
-I enjoy seeing the ball land exactly where I want it to land.


For more help, you can go to our HeartofGolf website and check out our golf improvement books and our Can-Do Golf Program for kids. Here is another website I found that has good books and tips: selfgrowth.com.


Here's to good golf thoughts!


Rick Semple
Positive Golfer
Co-Founder, TheHeartofGolf.com
http://www.TheHeartofGolf.com