Monday, October 01, 2007

Positive Golf Tip - Take Time to Watch the Turkeys ---

I know. You're wondering what turkeys have to do with golf. Well, I'll tell you. Yesterday, Bill - a Positive Golf friend of mine, told me about a great day he recently had on the course. Early in the game, he noticed a flock of 25 to 30 wild turkeys near the course. As he watched the turkeys while playing the next couple of holes, he realized that he felt relaxed and had stopped worrying about some business issues with his company. "Suddenly, I was really aware of what was going on around me," he said, "and I understood what was meant by 'being in the present.'" "I was hitting the ball a lot better too," he added. "I was using that tip about bringing my shoulders back square that you told me about, and it was working really well." I didn't feel tense, and my swing was nice and smooth." Bill attributed his nice swings and pleasant experience to those turkeys. To him, they weren't a distraction and a nuisance. Instead, watching them helped him to relax, re-focus attention away from business and other activities off-the-course to what was happening there around him "in the present." As it turns out, he enjoyed himself more and played better than he had in a long time. And what about his playing partners? "They didn't notice the turkeys," he said. They were busy complaining about their bad shots and looking for their lost balls."

So...next time your're out on the course, take time to watch the turkeys - or the geese, or hawks, or other wildlife - and let them help to enhance your awareness and relaxation, and open you up to a smooth swing and a great game.

Here's to great golf!

Rick Semple
Positive Golfer
Co-Founder, TheHeartofGolf.com
http://www.TheHeartofGolf.com