Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Positive Golf Kudos

This week, I am inspired to give Positive Golf Kudos to Tiger Woods in relation to his winning the Arnold Palmer Invitational golf tournament at Bay Hill. Tiger plays all aspects of the game so brilliantly, but of particular note is the strength of his mental game, which paves the way for the rest of his performance. This week gave us another prime example. As you know, he was tied with Bart Bryant coming in to the 18th hole, a high pressure situation for a golfer of any caliber. In preparing for the shot, it was what Woods thought - which led to what he did - that was so positive, productive, and powerful. Rather than cave in to negative, doubtful thoughts that would lead to tension, tightening, and quickening in his body, Woods kept telling himself, "I've done it before and I can do it again." This is how he described it: "I was so into the moment of the putt going in and winning the golf tournament. I kept telling myself, 'I've done this before.' I did it against Phil. And this time, it's a little bit deeper into the green, and the putt has a little more break, and it has a little more grain. I've done it before and I can do it again." He was referring to Phil Mickelson in 2001, the last time Woods made a birdie on the 72nd hole for a one-shot victory. And as we know, Woods made that 25-foot "miracle putt" at Bay Hill for a one-shot victory.

"I did it before and I can do it again" is a perfect example of utilizing the mental practice of remembering the good shots to help boost your confidence, something I referred to in my previous posting. The mental techniques that Woods uses are not, in and of themselves, "miraculous" or reserved for the "upper echelon." They are techniques that every golfer can use. The key is that Woods utilizes them so consistently and with such feeling and belief. He sets a superb example for utilizing Positive Golf mental practices that lead to outstanding Positive Golf experiences. Kudos to Tiger and kudos to all who strive to practice positive mental skills with diligence, belief, and enthusiasm!

Here's to great golf!

Rick Semple
Positive Golfer
Co-Founder, TheHeartofGolf.com
http://www.TheHeartofGolf.com

Labels: , ,